I took my plain white lamp shades today and recovered them to make them gorgeous! I am so very excited to share this post with you. I will show you before & after pictures along with step by step directions on how to recover your own lamp shades!
If you use this tutorial as a guide to recover your own, please add a picture in the comments!
You can find the YouTube video here I watched to learn how to trace the lamp shades properly.
Materials:
Lamp shades (I got my lamps at a yard sale for $5)
1 yard Fabric (I used 100% cotton)
Paper & tape for drafting the pattern
Scissors
Hot glue gun
Not pictured: Iron, Ironing board
Directions:
Trace your lamp shade using the method shown in the YouTube video link above materials.
IRON MATERIAL
Trace this template onto the wrong side of your fabric - I added about an inch or so to the outside of pattern to allow room for tucking edges into the inside of the shade when I glue. Cut out material.
Now you are going to start with the hot glue, LAST STEP!! :) Start with the seam and hot glue down long ways as shown in the picture. then you will glue along the edges INSIDE of the lamp shade. Make sure you pull the fabric tight.
Pull the extra fabric from the top and bottom and tuck inside and secure with hot glue.
When you get to a metal rod at the top, follow these instructions: Make a small cut, and glue around the pole.
When you near the end, fold the fabric on the outside so that you have a clean seam. Iron on top so that it stays flat.
INSIDE & OUTSIDE WHEN DONE:
Here is the difference on the night stands in our bedroom. I love the pop of color! :) We usually have a teal comforter, but this summer is just too hot!
Love how these turned out! Next will be my living room lamp shades, can't wait to add those pictures to this post! Leave a comment if you found this helpful :)











Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteThis is very pretty and what a great difference it makes to just change the shades. We are featuring your project at Pin It Monday Hop.
You can check it later today. See you soon :)
Judy
pursuitoffunctionalhome.com
Thank you so much, glad you found this feature-worthy! What an honor to be featured by you! I have been linking up to your site since I started my blog last month :) I am a big fan of your blog. Just started following you on google + and watched your make up tutorial! It's awesome
DeleteThank you so much. I have been looking for directions on this for awhile. I have a floor lamp that needs the shade covered. Think I will try this. Just want to use the right fabric so that light will still show.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. My fabric was just a thin cotton, and it worked out great, still displays the same amount of light. Good luck!
DeleteJust saw this on Pinterest and stopped by to say that I recovered a lamp shade this past summer and used this exact same fabric. Freaky!
ReplyDeleteHAHA! That is awesome!! How random and funny. I did it this last summer also :) Do you have a picture?! I'd love to add it to this post if you would like to share. You have good taste in fabric! LOL
DeleteThank you so much for stopping by!!
ReplyDeleteI just used your site to help me cover an old lamp which is now new & beautiful. Thanks you made it easy!
ReplyDeleteThat is wonderful, so glad I could help! Would you mind sharing before/after pictures?! :) If you are interested feel free to email me at katiescrochetgoodies@hotmail.com and comment again to let me know! Enjoy!
ReplyDelete