You have probably seen these military diaper bag/purse/totes around these last few years. They are becoming more popular and I love them. My husband is active duty in the Air Force and I am so proud of him. This bag is something I made knowing I would always have a piece of him (no matter where he is). There is so much traveling, moving, and deployments we must face as family/friends of those in the military and I see this as a way to honor them.
Side Note: I know that some people take offense to these and think that it is disrespectful. If you are one of those people, I respect your opinion (but please do not leave your negativity in the comments) as that is NOT the purpose of this post and it will be deleted. Thank you!
Continuing on...I have been eyeing these the last few years and finally found the courage to try one out myself. I love the way it turned out! I looked at this tutorial before I made mine and changed a couple things. If you need additional pictures, her tutorial is great also! My camera was dead when I made this so I had to take all of the pictures on my phone (sorry, they aren't great, LOL)
Materials
Step 5
OK, I didn't take a picture of this step when I made mine, but this is how you will sew the corner cutout.
Now you will take only ONE 2.5 x 25 square corner and match up the seams and sew.
Now, attach the patches and pockets you want on the front and sew them on.
This is what I had at this point (I hadn't trimmed the 2nd uniform piece as you can see in the bottom left)
Step 8
Now you will line up the uniform pieces with right sides facing and sew around the edges just like we did on the interior fabric (I forgot to take a pic) THEN line up the seams and sew BOTH corners as we did for one of the interior fabric corners.
Turn it inside out and you should have this
Now you need to sew up that corner you left open and you are done! :) I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and it helps you make a gorgeous bag! Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions - or email me: KatiesCrochetGoodies@hotmail.com
1-2 military uniforms depending on size (I needed 2)
Sewing Machine & thread
Iron & ironing board
Iron & ironing board
Optional: magnetic closure button
Step 1
Make the pattern template using paper
Body: Interfacing, Uniform material & interior fabric- 2 pieces EACH (20 x 13 inches) with 2.5 inch squares cut out of edges
Straps: Uniform material - 2 pieces 26 x 4.5 inches
Step 2
Iron the interfacing onto the wrong side of the uniform, do this for both pieces. (This will make the bag sturdy and stiff)
Step 3
Attach any pockets you want on the INSIDE of the purse to the interior fabric. I added a pen holder and a pocket. Sew them on :)
Step 4
Put the two interior pieces together (pocket on the inside) and sew as shown on this picture. I added my magnetic closure button at this time.
Step 5
OK, I didn't take a picture of this step when I made mine, but this is how you will sew the corner cutout.
Now you will take only ONE 2.5 x 25 square corner and match up the seams and sew.
It will look like this when you are done :)
Step 6
Fold each strap piece in half long ways (wrong side of fabric on the outside, and sew along the side and only ONE end - shown in yellow below. I forgot a picture of this step so here is an image to help! Once you have done that, turn it inside out (this will take some time, use something long to help, like a pen or spatula)
Once you have turned it right side out top stitch the open end shut.
Step 7Now, attach the patches and pockets you want on the front and sew them on.
This is what I had at this point (I hadn't trimmed the 2nd uniform piece as you can see in the bottom left)
Step 8
Now you will line up the uniform pieces with right sides facing and sew around the edges just like we did on the interior fabric (I forgot to take a pic) THEN line up the seams and sew BOTH corners as we did for one of the interior fabric corners.
Step 9
Now you will pin the straps to the outside of the bag as pictured. Make sure the straps are not twisted.
Step 10
Now you will keep the outside of the bag as show above just like it is and place the interior fabric on the outside of this bag. The interior fabric should be inside out (So that means you will have the pockets for the inside and the outside facing one another and pin like crazy!)
Sew along the top all the way around and then turn it inside out through that corner you left open in the interior fabric.
Now you need to sew up that corner you left open and you are done! :) I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and it helps you make a gorgeous bag! Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions - or email me: KatiesCrochetGoodies@hotmail.com






















Made my first ever purse today using your tutorial. I am a veteran and I'll never be able to wear some of my old uniforms again and I hate when things just sit around and go to waste. I didn't look very closely at my interfacing and ended up buying stabilizer instead that wouldn't iron on for the life of me *whoops*. I just ended up sewing it in between the uniform and interior fabric. I used a snap button (that's all I had at the house lol).
ReplyDeleteOverall it was a pretty easy project and brought some life and purpose back to my uniforms. I plan on making more! They are going to be great Christmas gifts for my mother-in-law (my husband is still serving) and my mom and grandmother!
I uploaded the finished product to my pintrest so you can see it, and I gave your tutorial full credit of course :)
That is awesome, thanks so much for your feedback! :) I am so glad this tutorial was of help to you and so excited that it turned out well and you plan to make more. How exciting! Would you mind emailing me the picture? I would love to add it to this post if that is okay with you, maybe put it at the bottom and say made by a reader! Let me know if that's something you would be open to. If not, no problem! Here's my email: katiescrochetgoodies@hotmail.com
DeleteThanks! :) Have a great time making more!
Thank you so much for this tutorial. It was my first tote I've ever made. It was very easy to follow. My hubby is retiring soon and made two for his sister's!
ReplyDeleteNeat! I'd love to see pictures, if you want to share email me at katiescrochetgoodies@hotmail.com
DeleteWonderful! :) You are welcome, thanks so much for the compliment!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful idea to honor our soldiers! I love this.
ReplyDelete