The older couple behind us asked to buy our groceries last week...I can't wait to pass on this amazing blessing to a stranger in the future! My heart melted due to the kindness this couple had for a stranger, I can't wait to give that feeling to someone.
Here's the story:
My husband and I were grocery shopping at the commissary on Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson. He is active duty, and had the day off. It was on a Friday afternoon. We got all of our necessities and headed for the checkout. We put all of the items on the belt and sat back to watch the register screen add up. The couple behind us had been smiling at us off and on and seemed very friendly. When she started watching the screen with us and asking if we were both in the military and making small talk I didn't think anything of it since the screen was positioned so that the customers behind us could also see it.
Our Bill = Over $100
I had my coupons in hand (worth about $15) and as soon as I handed them over to the cashier the older lady who had been in line behind us asked if she could buy our groceries...talk about a SHOCK! I think I stared at her in disbelief with a dropped jaw for 5+ seconds before saying anything. I was not sure if I was dreaming. I asked her if she was serious and if she was sure with a very confused look on my face i'm sure (wish the reaction had been recorded, HA)
Her response: Yes, will you let me buy your groceries today? I have always wanted to do that for someone. I remember when we were in your shoes being young and struggling. I would like to help you guys out today.
I immediately started crying because I was so amazed that people like her existed and said thank you and asked to hug her. She gave me a long hug while I was sobbing like a baby and said "God bless you"
I think I cried off and on during the entire drive home (It's bad - I know!) It is somewhat hard to remember the details as I was in la-la land due to being so confused about what had just happened.
I kept wishing we had said more to them, or got some kind of information about them so we could thank them again, but I realized the random act of kindness without needing reward was their goal. My heart is so touched.
I can't wait to pass it on and do the same for
someone in the future.
Other pay it forward ideas:
- Buy a coffee or meal for a stranger
- Donate items to your local shelter
- Go couponing and donate the items to a family in need
- Host a yard sale with FREE items
- (If you have an idea comment so I can add it here)
I kept thinking of the movie/book Pay It Forward and I felt I had to share this story with you. If even one person reads this and decides they want pay it forward in their own way I will have achieved my goal in writing this post. Thank you for reading.
Here are the links for the book and movie if you have any interest in reading up on it.
PLEASE comment below if you have received or given a blessing such as this, I'd love to hear your stories as well!










No comments:
Post a Comment
What do you think? Leave a comment here